Dry Injections – Cephalosporin
October 9, 2020
Antibiotics are medicines that help in curing infections caused by bacterial microbes. Antibiotics act by killing the bacteria or by preventing them from multiplying. Cephalosporins are a large group of antibiotics that are derived from the fungus Acremonium that were formerly called Cephalosporium hence the name Cephalosporium.
Cephalosporins bind to and block the activity of enzymes responsible for making peptidoglycan, an important component of the bacterial cell wall. Cephalosporins are broad-spectrum antibiotics as they are effective against a wide range of bacteria. Cephalosporins are used against infections such as that of Bones, Ear, Skin, Upper respiratory tract and Urinary tract and are generally administered through dry injections. Dry injection is a term used for the powder that is intended for injection. Before applying the injection, these powders need to be reconstituted to form a solution or suspension. Reconstitution is done by mixing the dry powder with either 5% dextrose solution, normal saline, bacteriostatic water, or sterile water. Dry Injections Cephalosporin manufacturing in India
Dry powder injections are prepared by the following two methods-
- Lyophilization – This is a process that helps in the removal of moisture content from the substance. Lyophilization thus, helps in the designing of those drugs that are heat sensitive or unstable under aqueous conditions. The basic concept of lyophilization is freezing the substance, reducing the pressure and then adding extra heat to allow the frozen water in the material to sublimate.
- Freezing This is done by cooling the substance below its triple point to ensure the sublimation of the substance rather than melting. This step helps in maintaining the physical form of the substance without any alteration. It is noteworthy that when the mixture of substances melts at a single temperature lower than the melting point of any of its constituents gets frozen, then only the solution is accepted as the frozen one and then only it is passed on to the next step.
- Primary Drying In this step, the pressure is decreased and heat is increased for the substance leading to the sublimation. This helps in the manufacturing of a structurally intact product. Though this is the most time-consuming step, it is very important for getting the product of perfect quality.
- Secondary Drying It is the adsorption step during which the ionically-bound water molecules are removed. This is achieved by increasing the temperature higher than used in the primary drying or sublimation phase. The bonds are broken between the substance and the water molecules. The continued drying is essential to reduce the remaining water content to an optimum level.
- Crystallization – is the process through which the atoms or molecules are arranged into a well-defined, rigid crystal lattice or simply a crystal. The crystallization is maintained by directly filling the sterile dry-powder drug into pre-sterilized vials.
Maya Biotech Pvt Ltd is a most prominent parenteral drug manufacturer in India and is fully involved in manufacturing and supplying a high-quality dry injections throughout the country.